Post new topic   Reply to topic

Pauper Ally Mill

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
tanuvazi
Hill Giant


Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Posts: 30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Pauper Ally Mill Reply with quote

Pauper Ally Mill
60 cards

manabase
7 island
7 plains
2 swamp
4 Esper Panorama
4 Rupture Spire

critters
4 Ondu Cleric
4 Makindi Shieldmate
4 Halimar Excavator
4 Umara Raptor

instants
4 Momentary Blink
2 Safe Passage
4 Join the Ranks
4 Turn to Mist
2 Muddle the Mixture
2 Grim Harvest
2 Distant Melody

sideboard - 15
1 Hindering Light
2 Orim's Thunder
2 Safe Passage
4 Oblivion Ring
2 Muddle the Mixture
2 Grim Harvest
2 Distant Melody

OK. The plan is to win by milling, but it is slow and very dependent on the Ondu Cleric and the Halimar Excavator.

Any ideas? Especially the sideboard, that was thrown together after a game against O-rings and Journeys.

Are the singleton silver bullets worth it?


Last edited by tanuvazi on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:19 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rickwins1971
Wizard


Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Posts: 514
Location: Wisconsin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep analysis is always a good draw spell. Can be pitched to discard and still get value and does not depend on having anything on the board.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stereosound
Eager Cadet


Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I played you a few times in the que last night! That or lots of people are jumping on the U/W ally mill boat.

One point I'd like to make -- you don't need to win by milling, huge umar raptors that attack in with shieldmates holding the ground is definitely viable as well. Think of it as an alternate win-con (: Momentary Blink is possibly the most annoying thing possible in this deck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
abelvillalonga
Durkwood Boar


Joined: 29 Jan 2009
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: 3 Reply with quote

Thatīs my list

Creatures --20
--------------------------
4 Halimar Excavator
2 Kor Skyfisher
4 Ondu Cleric
4 Makindi Shieldmate
4 Umara Raptor
2 Mulldrifter

Spells --17
------------------------
4 Counterspell
4 Momentary Blink
4 Join the Ranks
2 Muddle the Mixture
2 Mystical Teachings
1 Grim Harvest

Lands --23
---------------
2 Azorius Chancery
1 Dimir Aqueduct
7 Island
7 Plains
1 Quicksand
1 Swamp
4 Terramothic Expanse

Sideboard
----------------
1 Agony Warp
1 Dismating Blow
1 Echoing Truth
4 Hydroblast
2 Muddle the Mixture
1 Rest For The Weary
1 Safe Passage
1 Soul Manipulation
3 Hindering Touch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tanuvazi
Hill Giant


Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Posts: 30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stereosound wrote:
I think I played you a few times in the que last night! That or lots of people are jumping on the U/W ally mill boat.

One point I'd like to make -- you don't need to win by milling, huge umar raptors that attack in with shieldmates holding the ground is definitely viable as well. Think of it as an alternate win-con (: Momentary Blink is possibly the most annoying thing possible in this deck.

That was me.
I was less interested in winning and more interested in testing the deck.
I probably could have won one, maybe two more by swinging.
It is a viable altwin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OSUAvenger
Initiate


Joined: 15 Nov 2007
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since you want to get your Excavator why not run Vedalken Aethermage. He tutors for the Excavator for 3 instead of Muddles 1UU and he can be tutored up for by Mystical Teaching
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Delandel
Guildmage


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 365

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like abel's list more. The deck looks fun so I'll test it out and get back to you, but at first glance I'd say the number of Join the Ranks should go down by 1-2 and the SB looks a little messy.
_________________
Catullo wrote:
i'm really interested in this topic about dead dogs.


MTGO Account: Doctor Anime
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stereosound
Eager Cadet


Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanuvazi wrote:
That was me.
I was less interested in winning and more interested in testing the deck.
I probably could have won one, maybe two more by swinging.
It is a viable altwin.


It was good practice, I'm trying to bang out the holes in my deck as well so it really challenged things. I think you got me to two cards left in my deck ;P

Curious, would dropping the milling strategy, and adding green in for Oran-Rief Survivalist and maybe Graypelt Hunter maybe be a good idea? Momentary blink in this deck is off the wall and if you use big guys and swing in instead it might work a bit tighter, even with the introduction of a third color.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tanuvazi
Hill Giant


Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Posts: 30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stereosound wrote:
tanuvazi wrote:
That was me.
I was less interested in winning and more interested in testing the deck.
I probably could have won one, maybe two more by swinging.
It is a viable altwin.


It was good practice, I'm trying to bang out the holes in my deck as well so it really challenged things. I think you got me to two cards left in my deck ;P

Curious, would dropping the milling strategy, and adding green in for Oran-Rief Survivalist and maybe Graypelt Hunter maybe be a good idea? Momentary blink in this deck is off the wall and if you use big guys and swing in instead it might work a bit tighter, even with the introduction of a third color.

Yeah, I took you to 2.

Swinging for the win would be more efficient, but the Johnny in me demands that I build a functional Pauper Mill deck.
Maybe I'll look into hybridizing Millfolk and Ally Mill.

I have a Pauper Millfolk deck that used WUG so the colors are workable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Germ
Guildmage


Joined: 06 Jun 2009
Posts: 383

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mono blue Mill

creatures:
ink dissolver
drowner initiate
vadalken aethermage
Halimar excavator
Umara raptor

spells:
turn to mist
stream of unconsciousness
memory sluice

land:
quicksand
halimar dephts

stream of unconsciousness could be decent because of all the wizards, lottaways to mill, needs more allies, prolly 4 more would do it, left out numbers to keep it more skeletal so cards could be added as needed, or taken out. I think it could work, blues pretty defensive by itself, the deck wants to sit and turn your opponents build into dust, needs some draw as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigBobo
Neophyte


Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm loving this deck more than i should.

my build is pretty simple right now and could use a little tweaking:

4x ondu cleric
4x makindi shieldmate
4x umara raptor
4x halimar excavator
4x mulldrifter

4x journey to nowhere
4x counterspell
3x join the ranks
4x momentary blink

4x azorius chancery
10x island
7x plains
4x terramorphic expanse

it doesn't mill very fast but it doesn't really have to because if you're not dead by turn 5 or 6 its really hard to kill you. its crushing in the casual room (for whatever thats worth), but every other game is against elves or some other random green deck. i don't think the list is super competitive but i've always loved mill decks and this one seems to play pretty well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lozarian
Apprentice


Joined: 22 May 2009
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sideboard should be pretty much enchantment and removal hate, or more life gain. I've got a std version of this and it regularly gets up to 150 life once it gets going, it's quite hard to make it through that without journey/o-ring away your clerics/halimars.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
roundrain
Eager Cadet


Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add my list:

Code:

4 Memory Sluice
9 Island
4 Tome Scour
4 Makindi Shieldmate
3 Mystical Teachings
4 Compulsive Research
4 Halimar Excavator
4 Azorius Chancery
4 Calcite Snapper
2 Spellstutter Sprite
4 Join the Ranks
4 Terramorphic Expanse
5 Plains
1 Momentary Blink
4 Broken Ambitions
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rickwins1971
Wizard


Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Posts: 514
Location: Wisconsin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This deck could have a transformative sideboard. Switch out the mill cards for calcite snapper and deft duelist to make all the sided in removal useless.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
middleman35
Sorcerer


Joined: 22 Jul 2009
Posts: 648

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roundrain wrote:
Just wanted to add my list:

Code:

4 Memory Sluice
9 Island
4 Tome Scour
4 Makindi Shieldmate
3 Mystical Teachings
4 Compulsive Research
4 Halimar Excavator
4 Azorius Chancery
4 Calcite Snapper
2 Spellstutter Sprite
4 Join the Ranks
4 Terramorphic Expanse
5 Plains
1 Momentary Blink
4 Broken Ambitions


List is missing 1 Swamp? Or do you never flashback Teachings?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PDCMagic.com Forum Index -> Classic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP