MPDC League Season 4 Discussion Thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polyjak
Planeswalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: MPDC League Season 4 Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Metagame looks pretty sweet, lots of powerful cards and cool archetypes.

Brewing and thinking tribes, it looks like the following tribes have payoffs at uncommon or less:

Vampires
Pirates
Dinosaurs
Merfolk
Zombies
Artificers

Shame the Aetherborn lord is a rare, and the two Cat lords. Am I missing any?
Polyjak
Planeswalker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my rough starting spot for each of the six "payoff" tribes I can find:

(w/u/r) ARTIFICERS (w/u/r)

Inventor's Apprentice
Aether Swooper
Aether Chaser
Whirler Virtuoso
Glint-Sleeve Artisan

This is the one I'm least sure about. Obviously Inventor's Googles is the tribal payoff, but maybe the way to go is running Jeskai skies and Favorable Winds and maybe Aven Wind Guide to make flying Servos?

(w/b) ZOMBIES (w/b)

Fanbearer
Festering Mummy
Wayward Servant
Binding Mummy
Lord of the Accursed

This tribe seems really strong, plus it has access to Fatal Push and Cast Out. There are lots of other options if you feel one of these five isn't cutting it, including two options for a 3/3 for 3 and the white 2-drop who will usually be a 3/3.

(w/b) VAMPIRES (w/b)

Vicious Conquistador
Gifted Aetherborn
Adanto Vanguard
Skymarch Bloodletter
Sengir Vampire

I tried to go mono-black with this one but it's not deep enough. Also, it sucks that cards like Call to the Feast don't count toward the 20 tribal requirement, because they will eat up valuable spell slots. I suppose if you count Gifted Aetherborn as removal, you could justify a token-making spell. That makes Anointed Deacon look better, too.

(g/u) MERFOLK (g/u)

Kumena's Speaker
Merfolk Branchwalker
River Sneak
Shaper Apprentice
Vineshaper Mystic

These cards are all awesome, but they are extremely susceptible to removal, so pack your Negates and Blossoming Defenses. Splash black or red for some removal of your own? (Also find room for Shapers of Nature and probably River Heralds' Boon.)

(r/g/w) DINOSAURS (r/g/w)

Ranging Raptors
Sun-Crowned Hunters
Raging Swordtooth
Charging Monstrosaur
Colossal Dreadmaw

Similar to Vampires, Dinosaurs suffers from two of its key cards - Otepec Huntmaster and Drover of the Mighty - not counting toward the 20 creature limit. Luckily, with a big stompy Dino deck you're running as many creatures as you can, probably. And Savage Stomp if you want to get blown out?

(u/b/r) PIRATES (u/b/r)

Siren Stormtamer
Kitesail Freebooter
Storm Fleet Aerialist
Siren Lookout
Ruthless Knave

Red can be a splash, if you want either Storm Fleet Arsonist or Marauding Looter and/or the good red uncommon removal spells Abrade or Lightning Strike. I guess Headstrong Brute looks pretty good in a dedicated Pirate tribal deck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PDCMagic.com Forum Index -> Standard All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: